DIY: A Patchin' Project

11:04 AM

Get it? Like a passion project?


Okay... well anyway... getting to the point now. 



A few months back, I was planning a quick trip to Walt Disney World - literally 32 hours (read about it here!). I knew that the only way to get the most out of those 32 hours was by spending as much time in the parks as possible. On a regular trip, there is plenty of time to head back to the hotel when you need an outfit change (um Florida is sweaty) or a shoe change (blisters) or a nap (is an explanation needed on that one?). But when you have limited time? Oh no, everything must come with you.

I knew I needed a backpack, so I set out to find one. There are so many cute ones out there! From Loungefly to Jansport, Disney backpacks are easy to find. However, I decided to go plain Jane.



I found this adorable canvas Jansport backpack with rose gold details. Yes - Rose Gold!!!! Anyway - after the Disney trip I decided I wanted to do something fun with the empty canvas space. So, here is the DIY I did to add a little fun to the my backpack! I totally one-of-a-kind accessory.

What you'll need:
  • Backpack (Make sure it is made of a material that can have heat applied to it.)
  • Iron
  • Patches (Get different sizes and shapes to fit the blank space of the backpack.)

I found most of my patches at Hot Topic - except the Marie Tsum Tsum patch was found at Target. Most were iron-on, but Marie & the Danielle Nicole patches were actually adhesive.

How to:
  • Take all price tags off the iron on patches.
  • Arrange the patches until you find a layout you like. Make sure you don't place any adhesive patches yet - or they will stick and you won't be able to move them! 
  • One you find the perfect layout, get your iron. 
  • Press the iron down on the patch. Keep pressing for at least 15 seconds. 
  • If you've press the hot iron over an area where there is a zipper - BE CAREFUL. It will be very hot and could burn you. 
  • Continue this process until all patches are in place. 
  • Let cool before touching. 



I am loving how my patchy backpack turned out! It is ready for all the adventures I have coming my way.

While I picked my patches up in stores, there are SO MANY incredible small shops that sell amazingly cute patches as well. Where do you get cute patches? I want to make more patchin' projects!






You Might Also Like

0 comments